Thursday, April 15, 2010

Racial Tension in the Monona School District

Last night I sat in on the School Board meeting and listened to Charlie Ellis plead with the Board to take action on the abuses that some of the students in this District are dealing with at the hand of other students. I was in absolute awe as I listened to him speak about a student throwing a half stick of dynamite on another student's porch "just for fun". My stomach lurched as he told the tale of a young girl being cornered in a parking lot and how it has traumatized her. Racial slurs; threats of bodily harm; students wandering around armed... This is unacceptable and I hope that the Board takes swift action to impose a no tolerance policy of this behavior. These activities all fall under the same umbrella - bullying - and it is unacceptable at our schools. The right a student has to feel safe at school is non-negotiable. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment