Monday, May 3, 2010

Talent Shows and Teacher Cuts and Standing Committees...Oh My!!

I have taken a break from the blogosphere for a while, but I am back with a renewed committment. I am sure you are all sighing a breath of relief....

Last Friday night we attended the Glacial Drumlin Talent Show. Our daughter Samantha performed two acts - a solo singing act and a musical skit with a friend. We were so proud of her, and all of the kids who had the courage to get up in front of not only parents and teachers but the most critical of audiences, their peers. Kudos to all the talented kids at Glacial Drumlin School! Of course, the added bonus was seeing the Gerlachs join in the fun, bravely engaging in a dance contest and the timeless Saltine Cracker/whistling challenge. We are fortunate to have such upbeat and good sporting people in our district!

The preliminary teacher layoffs have been posted and the list is long. The Budget Crisis now has names and faces. It sounds like there will be some call backs, but it is not yet clear who those teachers will be. I have heard - and this is not confirmed, just what I have heard - that Jill Jensen and Kris Tudor will be retained, but it is not clear in what capacity. All rumor, of course. When I hear of accurate information, I will post it.

Standing Committees are back! Last year, the Board eliminated these long standing committees, made up of Board members and citizens by a vote of 5 to 1, with Peter Sobol voting against the elimination and Jill List not in attendance. Susan Fox, Jessica Ace, Lionel Norton, Jason McCutchin and Susan Manning voted for the elimination. I was at the meeting where this took place and I was dissappointed in the vote, so I am happy to see their return. If you are interested in applying for a committee, head to http://www.mononagrove.org/ to get the application. All submissions are due by May 15th, so if you are interested, the clock is ticking!

No comments:

Post a Comment